Our Favorite Mussel Recipes
Spicy Mussel Cocktail
Great summer day appetizer and alternative to the same old shrimp cocktail.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups cooked and drained mussel meats
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 cups strained mussel broth saved from steaming
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- Lemon juice
- Lemon slices or wedges for garnish
Melt butter in saucepan over low heat; add mussels and onions. Sauté until light brown.
Stir in broth, vinegar, bay leaves, and cloves. Simmer 30 minutes on very low heat. Taste and add salt as necessary.
Cool and refrigerate.
For sauce, blend mayonnaise and chili sauce with lemon juice to taste; chill.
To serve, arrange mussels on platter around bowl of sauce; add lemon garnish.
« Return to Recipe List